Competitions and Awards
2013 Ruth Kreuser Music Scholarship
By Cathy Paquette
Ruth Kreuser Music Scholarship State Chairman
We are delighted to announce that John Michael Schindler of Hartland is our 2013 Ruth Kreuser Music Scholarship recipient of $500. Congratulations also go to his piano teacher, Margarita Kontorovsky, a member of the Milwaukee Music Teachers Association Senior Club.
John is 13 years old and in the 8th grade and has been studying with Margarita since April of 2011. He began piano lessons in 2005 with Julie Stichmann. After three years of lessons, Julie recommended he take from Sam Ecoff due to his rapid progress in piano and strong interest in music theory. He studied under Sam for three years, again showing such a rapid progress that Sam referred him to Margarita. John is an extremely hard worker and his efforts have paid off with the winning of the following state and national awards and competitions:
- 1st Place National Winner of the 2009 NFMC Jr. Composers (Class I) Competition
- 2nd Place State (Wisconsin) Winner of the 2010 NFMC Jr. Composers (Class II) Competition
- Greater Milwaukee Baroque Music Festival: 2nd Place – 2009, 1st Place –2010, 1st Place –2011
- Milwaukee Area Piano Teachers Association Competition: 2010 –1st Place, Levels 7-9; 2011 –1st Place, Levels 12-14
- 1st Place Winner of the 2010 Chopin Youth Piano Competition (Jr. Division)
- WMTA Badger Keyboard Competition: 2nd Place in 2009, 1st Place in 2010, 2011, 2012
- NFMC Stillman-Kelley Music Competition: 2nd Place National winner in 2011 and North Central Regional Award Winner in 2012; 2013 State Winner, national results pending
- Winner of the Art New Music Award at the 2012 New Music National Young Artist Competition
- MTNA Junior Piano Competition – Wisconsin state winner in 2011, 2012 and 2013
As the Wisconsin state representative, John then competed at the regional level with the following results: 2011 – Honorable Mention, East Central junior regional competition; 2012 – Alternate (2nd place), East Central junior regional competition: 2013 – 1st Place, East Central junior regional competition. As the East Central region’s winner and representative, John went to the MTNA national convention in Anaheim, CA for the National Finals and came in 3rd Place.
John’s devotion and commitment to developing his God given talent are rare in a young person his age, and he so stated that commitment in his application letter to the scholarship committee. Our best wishes and encouragement go out to John as he continues his endeavors to become the best musician he can be. Sincere congratulations go out to John from the members of the Wisconsin Federation of Music Clubs.